Wednesday, February 3, 2016

We believe in mending


Whether it’s a thing or a relationship, I believe in mending, patching and restoring rather than discarding.

I learned this years ago from my then fourteen-year-old son. We couldn’t afford good furniture, so we bought cheap ones made from discarded wood. Shelves, tables and chairs bought from wayside workshops served our needs; including study tables for our two children. We covered the tables with plastic sheets for smoothness and good looks.
        
With time, the table covers started tearing. So hubby and I went and bought new ones. My teenage son refused to use the new cover, saying, “The old cover has a lot of battle scars, I’d rather keep it.” So he patched it up with black tape and continued to use it.

Our daughter has the same philosophy. She’s begging us to keep some old cane furniture we considered getting rid of.

Now, we have this old suitcase which has travelled far and wide, has suffered wear and tear. Recently, it was under threat of being chucked for a new one. But a bit of needlework has made it travel-worthy again. Thus we get to keep our old friend and it escapes being thrown out to become another environment pollutant. And we save a few grands too, which may be put to good use.

Even difficult human relationships can often be restored, depending on how much we value them and how hard we’re willing to try.


3 comments:

Philip Verghese 'Ariel' said...

Hi Malsawmi,
I so glad to read your new post after a while :-)
Good to know that you are back with a bang!
Good keep renewing the spirit here on your page too!
Yes, mending old one is always profitable and will surely be a joyous occasion too!
Nice to read the point you brought in with this small example of an old bag!
Above all i like the idea of keeping the environment clean by not polluting!! LOL
That is the need of the hour too!
Our environment is getting more and more polluted day by day!
Thanks for the valuable thoughts you brought in
I am philip from philipscom, hope you do remember my page name LOL
See you soon!
Talk soon
Keep informed
Best
Bro. Phil Ariel

Malsawmi Jacob said...

Thanks, Ariel. Trying to resume blogging. You are a good example with your faithful blogging practices, trying to draw inspiration from you.

Philip Verghese 'Ariel' said...

Oh My.. That is indeed a great joy to know that,
Keep writing my dear friend.
Oh my inspiration from me!!
That is really wonderful to know!! LOL
Waiting for the next installment!
Thanks for the quick response too
Best
~Phil